Teen Pool Group
This great idea for a group teen program on the autism spectrum is made possible by making good use of the new City of Winnipeg free ‘teen-only’ pool swim times. The City of Winnipeg regulation is that ONLY older youth to young adults are allowed in the pool during this free pool time. What a super idea to promote more physical activity for this age group, so check the pool schedules and go on your own if you wish! Otherwise you are welcome to register for the OHEYS group-supported team-based pro-active program!
WHY THIS PROGRAM IS NEEDED… We are addressing teen issues in autism.
- Teens need to get more exercise; doing so in a group activity setting seems like a lot more fun.
- Teens need to participate successfully in more social groups. This includes more practice interacting with friends their own age in activity-based settings. It means being prompted to interact successfully with others with game ideas and conversation in a risk-free environment.
- With a program specifically geared for a group, and with trained, qualified supporters to help facilitate the social component, participants can get more physically fit and feel socially successful.
The Program Host is City Pools:
SATURDAYS — Bonivital Pool (1½ hrs 7:00 -8:30pm) – 2 pools (shallow/lap swim), slide, hot tub, sauna.
1215 Archibald Street, St. Boniface.
Our schedule includes a meet-and-greet, a 1 hr swim with planned pool games and coordinated fun with friends and a snack and hang-out time.
A light, healthy snack is provided (juice/fruit/crackers). We stay on-site for snack and hang-out time. Parents drop off and pick up at the pool. On the last session date, there is wind-up fun and certificates. Session-based, but if you apply later and there is still space, pay pro-rated.
Session Details & Eligibility
- Participants with ASD. A minimum number of participants is required to run each session.
- Swimming ability – Participants do not need to be deep-end swimmers, as many games are in the shallow end (water polo, basketball, frisbee, volleyball, etc). Life jackets are optional. Must be able to swim one lap to use the deep end (City of Winnipeg pool rules).
- Social Skills – Participants need to be verbal, able to share ideas and actively participate in (supported) conversations with peers. This program is not suitable if your child needs constant 1-1 attention. This program plan is for group games and activities, which require general direction.
- Typical teens (male/female) are included in the mix; in the pool to play games & able to supervise each change room.
- Adult facilitators will be in the pool area, supervising activities and equipment setup. No adults are allowed in pool.
- We are permitted to bring OHEYS own pool toys and games for group activities.
- Light Snack provided. Snacks from vending machines are strongly discouraged.
- Ask about participation of older typical siblings; it depends on the numbers.
Includes: equipment, games, supervision, light snack, and trained coach support.
See Application Form for the number of weeks each session will run. City pools are closed all statutory holidays. Session-based, so if you apply later, pay pro-rated for the remainder of the session.
Email or scan/email to confirm. Mail payment or pay at first session.
Questions? email (preferred): OHEYSAutismPrograms@gmail.com OR Tel: 204-275-1498.
OHEYS Autism Programs
Registered Charity #86117 9083 RR0001